Friday, June 14, 2013

Do hard things

Over the last few weeks, I have been challenged over and over again in my thinking.  Lest you think this is the first time God's had to remind me of this, it's not.  It's a lesson I've learned in the past and I think I'll have to remind myself of it over and over again.

 Sometimes serving God is difficult. It requires sacrifice of time, energy, peace, order and any number of things.  But it is always blessed.  This is what I sometimes forget.  This morning as I was whining in my head, "But Lord, it's too hard.  What about my family, Lord?  How does this impact them?"  And while the demands of ministry do affect the family, and sometimes it takes wisdom to figure out how to balance family and ministry, I shouldn't be scared or selfish, but trust that God is going to use it for their eternal gain as well.  What we do is going to have less of an impact on then than how we do it.  Am I serving begrudgingly, or with joy?  Whining, or playing the martyr, or praising God for the opportunities he's given us?

And just because it's hard, doesn't mean to stop doing it (hello, we've got 4 kids :)  This morning I was tempted to throw in the towel, and no longer be available to watch two children.  "It's too hard, Lord!"  And I was irritated.  And then I was reminded that I've had two children teething before.  And I've had children scream for hours before.  And even if it happens again, it'll be okay.  Why don't I just pour myself out, be exhausted but thrilled with the prospect of being a blessing?

Thankfully, we've been working with the girls on cultivating a thankful heart, and the verse we've been working on is "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Col 3:17.  And the context of that verse is  living together as a body of believers and interacting in each other's lives.  This gave me a heart check this morning as I was babysitting, and trying to get ready for an impromptu visit from Californian friends, and make arrangements for the young lady living with us this summer.  Phrases like "Whatever you do"... "let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts"... "Word and deed"..."In the name of the Father".... "singing with grace in your hearts to God"... "Everything"..."let the Word dwell in your hearts".  Incredible connections between hands and hearts.  

Thank you, Lord, for these words and these challenges!  I'm so thankful to get more opportunities to change my heart, and thankful for the Spirit's ONGOING work to change me from being a petulant child to a God-glorifying woman.  One day we'll get eternal rest, but for now, let me put my hand to the plow and work for Him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


<3 Sarah