Thursday, March 8, 2012

"We should do this more often, Mom!"


Dear sweet Emma. This was her response to seeing 4 doctors in 2 days, getting x-rays and finding out she had a broken arm! Fortunately her arm hasn't been hurting her and the thrill of attention, stickers and being told she was simply 'adorable' multiple times won the day.
Emma tripped and fell backwards while in Michigan, and seemed fine until she went to hug someone and just about hit the roof. Our former pediatrician assessed her in church on Sunday, and said we could wait to get x-rays until back in Maryland, and gave us a brace to use until we got back. Fast forward - trip to pediatricians, x-ray, pediatric orthopedist and pediatrician. X-ray results show a break from 5-6 weeks ago!!!! Talk about humiliating! She's been using it and doing gymnastics without ANY indication of discomfort :( The pediatricians were great, however, and reassured me that this type of break often goes undiagnosed because there is no loss of function and very few complaints of pain. Sigh. And now Sami is requesting x-rays :)

In other news, Jessie added fruit snacks to our stir fry last night, and green gummy bears do lose their crunch. The little monkey snuck into the pantry to get a fruit snack, fed 1/2 to Jack, then added some to the stir fry and I didn't realize until I was fishing out green goo and Jessie says, "Fruit snack!!"

All our girls had their doctors appointment several weeks ago, and after receiving many, many comments about how tall they were (they were short in dutch Grand Rapids) the verdict is that they are in the 80th percentile for height.

They keep growing, and praising God in their growth. We are amazed by how God made little brains to learn and process, and little hands to stay busy causing Mom's hands to stay busier. We are so thankful for them, and for an ultrasound that reveals that 'corncob' is growing well. I was saddened by an ultrasound technician who was very rude and disparaging about the gift of children, horrified to hear that this was number 4. And then I looked at the little profile, amazed that God has entrusted another blessing to us, and what a mystery that is! I saw glimpses of Samantha, Emma and Jessie-Lynn in the profile, the little pug-nose, the flat forehead and yet this profile was completely distinct and unique, as precious as the soul this body clothes. And I was amazed at God's work, wondering who this little one will be, and what character she/he will add to our family, and how God will use this little one to shape the rest of us. I was grieved again that the lady could so easily dismiss this and overlook the amazing treasure that her sonogram wand was revealing. I was reminded again "You knit me together in my mothers womb, I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made!" And thankful I am called to honor God and my husband, not societal norms.

And now the other room has gone quiet, so I must run...

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Poor Emma! and don't feel guilty, that actually IS more common! I must say that after I heard I checked the kids from head to toe:)

So thankful that you little "corncob" is growing, they ARE miracles and even if you were met with a bit of hostility about having number 4 (I get that too and thats just with 3). I'm constantly being reminded that in everything we are witnesses, in the excitement that we have with each baby, in the joy of family, in showing what a blessing these little ones are.

Praying that the next few months go smoothly for you all with no more hidden breaks!

Cathy Jonker said...

What happened to Jack, did he get sick? Did Jessie get in trouble?