
Yesterday was a rough day, filled with pregnancy migraines, overtired children and a particular little monkey who initiated a yogurt food fight with her sisters. For the record - yogurt throws far and makes cool sound effects when it hits the wall.


It's my fault. There was one minute left in the auction - a catering company going out of business and there were some things we needed for our new church building so I set lunch up and did a final check. And the giggling began a mere 10 feet from my computer. Sigh.
Some days are long, full of cleaning up play dough and lego, wiping tears and walls, shaping hearts and cookies and sometimes just making sure we all make it until bedtime :)
But there are so many things I'll miss...
Jessie's impish grin, and her climbing on the counter to steal sweets, or sneaking into the pantry to feed the dog and wash the windows.
Emma's whispering every night, "I love you" and Sammi's wet kisses, "because it isn't real unless it's wet" (?!?!?). Their creativeness in making foxholes and thinking of baby names, and trying to figure out what pets would be the best. Jessie's hysterical giggles as she sneaks into Samantha or Emma's bed to hide, hoping to not be caught.
Sammi's comment on the doctor, "meh, he talks too much. I just wanted to read my book" and the question in the van on the way home today, "How do mommy foxes have babies?" It turns out after my rather lengthy explanation that they just wanted to know if baby foxes were born from eggs or their mommies bellies, which led to a discussion of mammals and birds and God's magnificent creation.
What a privilege it is to get to spend every day with them, even on the long days. And then there are days that I need to remember that even if we have kraft dinner for dinner, and the elders see a dirty house, and there are tears on all sides, even these can be good days. We're studying Jacob and Leah and Rachel in bible study this week, and I'm reminded that even in those rough days, God is still shaping them and still shaping me. That God is present for me, and for my kids. These are not forgotten days or wasted days, but days shaping us for eternity, and I'm thankful for them. And for my kids!
2 comments:
ahhhh, EXACTLY what I needed to read today:) Thanks for the reminder that there is joy in the rough days too!
I love how you write, Laura (now that I know you DO write...). Instead of saying "3 kids for sale" there's encouragement that we're shaping hearts. And maybe learning more in the bad days than the good.
Wishing you lots of encouragement and patience in the next few months. Our God is gracious!
Post a Comment