So. I had this great idea. Found on a preschool website. For this little girl.

Jessie, especially, loved the feel of rice. I've been trying to come up with more sensory activities for this child, and she kept asking me to pour rice into her hand. Her little body just sat perfectly still, mesmerized while I lined up the funnel over her hand, and the rice poured down into her palm. Then it would empty and she would bounce and shake her arms until I filled it up, and lined it up again. It was worth it. (and the next day we did it, but allowed the green rice to dry out in the sun. Much better idea :)

Unfortunately, great ideas still need to be thought through, well. I forgot that 3 tablespoons (doubled to six) of rubbing alcohol is still alcohol. I forgot that alcohol is used to make things 'en flambe'. I forgot that our oven seals very, very well. I forgot that when I open the oven, it adds an oxygen source, and heat+alcohol+oxygen= big blue ball of flame. We praise God that I was wearing my glasses, that the kids were in bed, that there were no serious injuries. It could have been so much worse (hair and eyebrows are just a small casualty).
This was the finished project. And they loved it! They poured and measured and buried fingers for 20 minutes (which is an extended period of time in toddler-world!)
Jessie, especially, loved the feel of rice. I've been trying to come up with more sensory activities for this child, and she kept asking me to pour rice into her hand. Her little body just sat perfectly still, mesmerized while I lined up the funnel over her hand, and the rice poured down into her palm. Then it would empty and she would bounce and shake her arms until I filled it up, and lined it up again. It was worth it. (and the next day we did it, but allowed the green rice to dry out in the sun. Much better idea :)
1 comment:
what a fun idea! glad you didn't get hurt and especially glad the kids weren't around, that must have been SCARY!!
miss you uys!
Post a Comment