Thursday, March 22, 2012

Days off

The weather has been beautiful, and Washington is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the initial planting of 3,000 cherry trees that were gifted to Washington by the Japanese as a sign of friendship in 1912.

The Washington Monument is surrounded by these cherry trees that in full bloom this week (3 weeks ahead of the scheduled festival :)
Rows upon rows of these trees surround the tidal basin, and pictures don't do justice.
Samantha
We've got 4 weeks of guests coming up, and we just found out that some are overlapping, so I've been frantically sewing curtains, staying up late to try to get the last two rooms done, and trying to come up with a gluten free/dairy free diet. I felt like we didn't have time to take a day off, to 'waste' it doing 'frivolous' things.

This is never frivolous. Spending time with family, giggling, growing.
How foolish I am. The curtains will get done. Or they won't.
Emma
But the blooms were only at peak for three days. And we ALL needed this day off, this day to just play, picnic, enjoy water, helicopters, and sun. And who would have thought that we would have needed sunblock in March :)

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I agree! sometimes you HAVE to push everything else aside in favor of a family day! Gorgeous pictures, I would love to see those trees in bloom some day!