Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Croup stinks



So, we had our first ER visit last night. Not bad for 9 cumulative kid years. And yes, I panicked. Something about your little girl not being able to breath kind of kills whatever rational thought is in your head. Poor little Emma woke up honking like a goose, completely unable to catch her breath. A few minutes of steam didn't work, but the cold van-ride to the ER did. Of course by the time we got there, she was doing much better, but I'm still glad we went in. I'd rather leave the assessments to the professionals, particularly when I'm the frazzled parent. That frees me up to be the parent -to cuddle and comfort, and just be mom.
Emma was very brave. We had a med student practice assessments on her (at 1 am), and Emma let her poke and listen and look in her ears 3x. Of course, motrin and corticosteroids did help her mood. "I like to breathe, mom!" "Breathing is important, isn't it?" Lots of little nuggets of wisdom in a hospital from our little imp who is always asking, "Canwe take a picture of this?"


So today will be full of baths, motrin and Dora, as all three are running fevers and coughing. Cuddle time on the couch with books will be enjoyed by all. And maybe tomorrow we'll resume our normal programming. But for today, we'll enjoy the quiet.

No comments: